Monday, May 16, 2011

Reflections on day 1

They say it takes a few weeks for parenthood to set in during adoption, but I don't buy it a second.  At least not in our case.  We are warned that often parents find that only after weeks of parenting do they feel that 'this is their child.'  It's very common during the attachment process for both sides to not feel completely attached for quite some time.  But I see Francisco's smile of recognition when I walk into the room.  He knows us both.  He is comfortable.  He squeals in delight when we tickle his sides or eat his toes.  Seriously, he tried for 10 minutes to show me his foot under his sock so I could kiss his digits.

Each of these moments between poppa and momma and baby make the transition to family easier.  They help seal the bond.  He is a willing contributor to the process.  He knows what we are trying to do, and helps out.

Te amo, mi hijo.

No comments:

Post a Comment